Thursday, November 29, 2007

Change of plans

I'm going to have to work on Mafileo's part 3 before I go any further, after all. Because it has implications for everything that happens after, including most of Akshedhen's part. I got him and his friends out of Ahon ken Taridh, and I'm going to have to leave them that way for now: on the run with nowhere to go.

So I'm going to need to print out all the Mafileo stuff I have so far, read through it, and figure out exactly (a) what the emotional tone I'm setting is and (b) what's supposed to happen. I think I need to have them pick up a Woneiyal refugee before they get all the way down to the Delta.

The "chapters" are starting to take on a life of their own. I had originally framed them around breaks in the action; now I find that they're structuring the story emotionally in important ways. One of the problems with M's part 3 is that it hits too many different emotional events: I need to figure out how to unify them, or else split them out.

This is editing-while-writing and is exactly the stuff one isn't supposed to do. My word count average is going to take a hit. But what the heck: I met the NaNoWriMo goal. And I'd rather do the rewriting now then keep forging ahead along what might turn out to be a wrong path.

I'm going to try to straighten it all out this weekend insh'allah and get back to producing verbiage for December. In the meantime I probably won't bother posting any word counts... I feel like the end of the tunnel really is in sight. Still aiming for a complete though very rough draft by the end of 2007.

No comments: