Saturday, December 15, 2007

Writing and chocolate

OK, the thing abut the chocolate? It's weirder than it sounds. I was too tired to go into any detail last night.

I've never been one of those people who crave chocolate. I can take it or leave it. Actually for a while I was slightly allergic to it, and it wasn't any hardship. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and I rarely eat candy of any kind.

But after dinner, if I sit down at the computer to write, a square of semi-sweet baker's chocolate really hits the spot.

Not anything sweeter. Not anything really rich: the fancy, 70-80% cacao, flavored with curry or tamarind or what have you chocolates that are popular right now aren't what I crave. (Though I am quite fond of some of them, especially the curry one.) I suspect the baker's chocolate is delivering something my brain needs, in a sensual package that isn't strong enough to be distracting. Weird.

No comments: