Sunday, November 25, 2007

Another milestone

I've reached the NaNoWriMo goal: I've written over 50,000 words in November, and it's only the 25th.

Alhumdulillah.

My total now stands at over 64,000... and I feel like I'm about half way, maybe a little more. This is going to be a 100,000 - 120,000 word novel. Allahu akbar!

The plan right now is to try to keep the pace through December. I'm actually averaging over 2000 words a day (including Thanksgiving Day when we were on the road and I wrote 0 words). At that rate, by the end of November I would have about 74,000 words. 30 or so days in December would give me another 60,000. I should be done by then.

I hope.

Then I have to do some editing. I know there's redundant dialog that I have to pare down and tighten up. There are some places where I want to cut out some description and instead write scenes that depict what I'm saying. Also check for minor continuity errors, etc. And run a spellcheck *cringe*

What I think I'll do is finish the rough draft and maybe make one editing pass... then send it out to some alpha readers, at least three or four. And put it away, and not look at it or at their comments on it, at least until I get them all back. Then (we should be well into the New Year by this time) I'll settle in and do some serious editing.

Then I get to start looking for a publisher. Wee ha! But the first step is to finish the beast.

It's a damned good story... and there are some bits of really good writing in it. I just have to try to keep the level up. May God help me.

No comments: